Saturday, August 30, 2008

How Big is Your God?


We often hear Christians talk about the comfort they receive from their faith, especially in times of trouble. And there have certainly been times when I've cried to the Lord for nothing but comfort--for myself and for those I love. Sometimes it's obvious that there is nothing that can be done in a situation to make things better. But more than once I've been amazed at the comfort God has been able to give in times of sheer desperation and distress. And when you're in the middle of something tragic, the comfort of God is like a cool breath of fresh air on a hot day. It's like gentle, steady rain on parched soil. Sometimes when we see someone in despair finally able to fall asleep, as family and friends we breathe a silent prayer of thanksgiving, because we know in sleep the pain is just a little less. How big is your God? Is he big enough to send comfort when a loved one has been lost? Is he big enough to make you feel a little relief when your heart has been broken in two?

"Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God." Psalm 90:2 (NIV)

I'm tremendously glad we have a God who sends comfort in times of trouble; however, I find that when I'm in the deepest despair, it is the knowledge of God's power and supremacy that brings me the most comfort, not necessarily his tenderness. It is his "bigness" that gives me certainty in times of question and doubt. Nothing comforts me more than knowing that the God who holds the universe in his hands also holds me, and that I am infinitely more important to him than anything that can be named. Are you able to find comfort in God's greatness today? Is your God big enough to overcome the minor or major obstacles that you will face on your walk this week? How big is your God?

No comments: