Friday, August 29, 2008

The Morning with God

In late July my family was at our church's Family Camp. Since I took a vacation earlier in the summer, I commuted back to town a couple of times during the week to do some work. Thankfully it is only a little over an hour away! I'd rather not have had to get up quite so early to make it back to town on time, but I have to say that the blessings I received on my morning commute were an unexpected delight.

There is something about the morning with God, especially when driving through the back country of Tennessee. When the light filters quietly through the dense foliage surrounding the gently twisting road, you feel God is there. When you see baby deer and bunnies moving silently through the still morning forest, your mind can't help but move to the creator of life. When the morning dew sits on the quiet fields, and the gentle fog is still lifting off the meadows and valleys, you can't help but feel the presence of God slowly moving through your heart and mind. No wonder the Bible speaks so frequently about the morning with God.

"Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul." Psalm 143:8 (NIV)

I wonder how different each day would be, if we prayed this prayer every morning, asking God to show us the path we should travel down for the day, dedicating our lives to Him anew with each morning sunrise, allowing the stillness of a brand new day to flood our soul with peace and faith in the God who placed the sun in the sky.

No comments: